Tripura Urban Transport Company Ltd. (TUTCL) has been established on 15th March, 2010 with a view to provide cheap and efficient transport facilities to the general people of Urban and Suburban areas is a Government of Tripura undertaking having the following share holding pattern:
- State Government of Tripura – 40 Percent.
- Agartala Municipal corporation (AMC) Government Of Tripura Local authority – 30 Percent.
- Tripura Road Transport Corporation (TRTC) A Government of Tripura Undertaking – 30 Percent.
- To promote and develop the transport facilities in the state of Tripura by providing bus Transport system (BTS) to the public by way of planning, designing, financing, developing, constructing, maintaining, marketing , operating and enabling Bus Transport System (BTS) either individually or in association with other undertakings or companies as a Special purpose vehicle (SPV) or joint venture (JV) or BOT system (Build, Operate and Transfer).
- To provide and/ or facilitate provision of multi modal transportation services including owning, licensing and operating bus routes, passenger and other modes of transport.
Success Story of Tripura Urban Transport Company Ltd.
The Secretary to the Govt. of Tripura, Transport Department is the Chairman of Tripura Urban Transport Company Ltd. The Municipal Commissioner, Agartala Municipal Corporation and the Joint Transport Commissioner are the Directors of the Board. The Managing Director, TUTCL is the Director cum Member Secretary of the Board.
The State Government had submitted one Detailed Project Report (DPR) to the Ministry of Urban Department, Govt. of India, New Delhi amounting to Rs. 17.00 Crore in the year 2009 for purchase of 75 buses under JnNURM Scheme for starting City Bus Service in and around Agartala City. The MoUD, GoI, New Delhi accorded sanction of Rs. 15.30 Crore being 90% of the project cost during January, 2010 and rest 10% of the project cost would be borne by the State Govt.
Under the 2nd Project, purchase order for 100 Nos. of Midi buses out of which 50% are diesel operated and 50% are CNG operated have been issued to TATA Motors Ltd. And SML Isuzu Ltd. Meanwhile 100 Nos. of Non AC CNG Buses have reached Agartala. Out of 100 new buses 79 buses have been put into operation in addition to 70 buses of earlier project 21 Nos of buses are in the dealers stockyard. Pre delivery inspection of 21 Nos. of buses have been completed. These 21 Nos. of buses will be put in operation shortly. Apart from these 170 buses TUTCL have purchased 3 Nos. of buses from revenue earnings of TUTCL.
For proper monitoring of the City Bus Services, Intelligent Transport Management System(ITMS) will be set up shortly.